Michael Louis Minns
Read the Minns Law Testimonials
Michael was licensed by the Texas Supreme Court on June 13, 1977, and on the following Monday tried his first case. He has over 30 admissions in Federal and State jurisdictions across the continental United States and has appeared in courtrooms in more than 30 states, territories and countries.
Before practicing law Minns won the Houston Golden Gloves Championship and was a high school English teacher.
His trial and appellate work spans the country from Alaska and Hawaii to Texas, Arkansas and New York. His cases have appeared in periodicals such as The New York Times, Reader’s Digest, Houston Post, Houston Chronicle, San Antonio Light, Arkansas Democrat, Arkansas Gazette, Kerrville Mountain Sun, Memphis Commercial Appeal, People Magazine, and The U.S. Observer.
Minns has appeared as a guest on numerous television shows and channels, including Geraldo, The Today Show, CNN, CBS, and NBC. Minns has been asked to speak about taxes, the law, and suing lawyers. Minns is the author of two popular books on his trial work: The Underground Lawyer and How to Survive the IRS. Minns has also authored two law journal articles for attorneys: A Brief History of Willfulness as it Applies to the Body of American Criminal Tax Lawand Cross Examination of the Government’s Witnesses in a Criminal Tax Defense Case.
Minns maintains a broad general law practice covering a large and varied spectrum, with a strong emphasis on his professional experience as a criminal tax defense lawyer and in suing bad lawyers for legal misconduct in malpractice suits. He has handled criminal law cases ranging from misdemeanors to capital murder.
Michael lives on a Texas farm with his wife Michelle, a farmer. She raises cows, trees, goats, and chickens as well as running an animal rescue sanctuary. Michael and Michelle have three children, six grandchildren, and a ton of animals.
Law License Received
- United States District Court Eastern District of Michigan April 18, 2018
- Supreme Court of Texas (Bar Card No. 14184300) June 10, 1977
- U.S. Tax Court (Washington, D.C.) (Bar No. 7805-54689R) August 25, 1977
- U.S. Court of Claims (Washington, D.C.) September 26, 1977
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas October 7, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit (New Orleans, LA) July 24, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit (San Francisco, CA) August 21, 1979
- U.S. Court of International Trade (New York, NY) November 1, 1980
- Supreme Court of the United States of America (Washington, D.C.) November 10, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit (Washington, D.C.) October 1, 1982
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas September 21, 1983
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas October 3, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit (St. Louis, MO) October 28, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit (Atlanta, GA) December 8, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit (Chicago, IL) February 24, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit (Cincinnati, OH) June 15, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit (Richmond, VA) June 26, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit (Denver, CO) July 24, 1984
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas October 2, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit (Philadelphia, PA) November 19, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia December 17, 1984
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals (Washington, D.C.) April 12, 1985
- U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii (Honolulu, HI) April 30, 1987
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas August 24, 1987
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York February 5, 1988
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona March 21, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit (New York) September 19, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit (Boston, MA) October 7, 1991
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan October 30, 1992
- U.S. District Court for Colorado October 28, 2003
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Illinois August 30, 2004
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan March 9, 2009